Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My Child Wouldn't Eat THAT!

Have you ever said, "My child wouldn't eat THAT"?
What was the "THAT"? Sushi? Spinach salad? Freeze dried beets?
Those examples sounds crazy, but those are actually taken from real life. Mine, in fact.
Chances are, if you're making a statement about what your child would or wouldn't eat, it's more of a statement about what you yourself would or wouldn't eat. We all have likes and dislikes. I don't hide the fact that I can't stand mushrooms and olives- I know! And yes, I have tried black olives and green olives.
Actually, I do hide it- from my children. It's all too easy to pass our likes and dislikes to our kids. But it's a better idea to expose them to a variety of foods and let them decide for themselves which flavors they prefer (and I'm not talking about raising picky eaters- that's a whole other topic). I make sure to give my kids mushrooms and olives when I have the opportunity- they can try them and decide for themselves. But in the meantime, I don't make a big deal of it. I don't watch to make sure they try it. I don't try to analyze their facial expressions for hints of a future full of drama and broken relationships as they try to avoid any establishment offering said offending food item. No one food is that big a deal.
Let your children surprise you. They will have likes and dislikes, much like you do. Their likes and dislikes will likely be different than your's. Think twice before you assume your child wouldn't eat THAT. Because maybe they will, and maybe they will ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment